Transparent Sustainability Reporting
PECAN recommends that Council implements a transparent management system in its programs, strategies and plans (KPIs, monitoring, reporting, etc), including:
- Twice yearly reporting of emissions from residential, commercial, and industrial sectors, as well as from council assets (using National Asset Management Systems or equivalent as a reporting standard).
- Reporting must comply with obligations defined in the Local Government Act 2020 and follow the Auditor General of Victoria’s Better Practice guide.
- Public release of all consultant’s reports and studies.
- Annual public reporting on progress of all activities against measurable goals.
Budget Allocation for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
PECAN recommends that Council allocates funding to mitigate and adapt to the impacts of climate change, including:
- Ensuring funding to deliver Climate Emergency commitments.
- Involving the community in a participatory budgeting process through all stages of council’s budgeting process.
- Prioritising implementation of the most cost effective and impactful projects.