Draft Aims for PECAN
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) states that the world has a short time to address the climate crisis.
The Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C states that limiting warming to 1.5ºC is not physically impossible but would require unprecedented transitions in all aspects of society.
We face a climate emergency.
Port Phillip as a seaside area, is particularly prone to the impacts of this climate emergency. Its citizens are also amongst Australia’s most progressive when it comes to recognising the climate crisis and issues of environmental sustainability.
In recognition of the climate emergency we face and uniting behind the science on climate change, PECAN aims to create and sustain a strong climate action movement in Port Phillip/Macnamara to address the climate crisis.
We are politically non-partisan and we encourage an exchange of views and connections with all the groups that make up the network and with other like-minded groups.
We will be active in order to:
- about climate change and its effect on people, plants and animals drawing on expertise to develop locally appropriate responses.
- from the practices of others, locally and globally, in addressing the climate crisis.
- people and organisations on how to change behaviour, reduce their impact on the environment and adapt to changes in the environment as a result of the climate emergency.
Bring people together and mobilise the community:
- to develop public understanding and a sense of connection around shared values to inspire local community action on the climate emergency.
- all levels of government to take action to address the climate emergency and to communicate the need for such actions to the public.
- policies and actions of political parties and independent candidates
- institutions and organisations in Port Phillip to recognise the urgency of the climate emergency and model and communicate good practices in response.
- Use the status of those with expertise in our community to provide leadership.
The groups that make up PECAN currently are Port Phillip Action for Sustainability, Community Alliance of Port Phillip, Jewish Action(??) for Climate Action, Stop Adani Macnamara, Locals into Victoria’s Environment, Australian Conservation Foundation Macnamara, Australian Youth Climate Coalition Macnamara.