The upcoming council election in the City of Port Phillip is critical for ongoing climate action. We need to elect candidates who will take strong action to tackle the climate emergency. We recommend the candidates listed below based on their commitment to climate action in Port Phillip and their support for policies that are consistent with the Port Phillip Emergency Climate Action Network (PECAN) Climate Emergency Action Plan.
PECAN sent a questionnaire to all candidates in order to test their responses on key environmental and climate action issues at Port Phillip Council.
Candidates from the Ratepayers of Port Phillip chose not to complete the questionnaire, sending an email response instead and the two sitting Liberal Councillors did not respond.
In preparing our assessments we have relied primarily on the questionnaire responses, together with a range of other material, including the following sources:
- candidate websites
- candidate information provided to the Victorian Electoral Commission
- history of community involvement in climate action
- responses given in electoral webinars
- explicit policies of their parties or community groups
- preferencing intentions in this election
- voting records on sustainability issues (sitting councillors)
VIEW YOUR WARD
Click on the ward maps to view further detail on candidates and their responses to the questionnaire.
You must number all of the boxes on your ballot, with 1 being your preferred candidate. You will need to post your completed ballot before 6pm Friday 23 October.