Fossil Fuel Divestment
PECAN recommends that Council divests from fossil fuel companies, including staff superannuation funds, and banks that are financing fossil fuel projects:
- Updating Council’s Investment Policy to require 100% ethical investment by excluding investment in fossil-fuels, tobacco, gambling, arms, etc.
- 100% divestment from fossil fuels by 2021.
- 100% divestment from other non-ethical investments by 2022.
- Creating community awareness about divestment and related campaigns.
- Full reporting on council investments, including proportions of fossil-fuel and non-ethical companies, and threshold of fossil-fuel and non-ethical activities that defines a company as ‘ethical’.
- Advocating to the Commonwealth government to plan for a decarbonised future based on renewable energy sources both for domestic and export purposes.
Council Green Procurement
PECAN recommends that Council adopt a policy for Green Accreditation of its service providers, including:
- Update procurement process and guidelines to ensure that all tender assessments prioritise:
- Sustainability (e.g. use of recycled materials, environmental impact, etc)
- Local suppliers and use of locally-sourced materials
- Divested suppliers (e.g. suppliers who have divested from and do not work with companies in fossil-fuel and non-ethical industries)
- Sustainable suppliers (e.g. supplier’s own sustainability processes, scope 1, 2, 3 emissions)